Total Body Posture
At Sana Dental in Edmonton, AB, we provide proactive dentistry and orthodontic treatments to ensure you maintain the most comfortable total body posture possible.
Total Body Posture Starts With Your Bite Alignment & Healthy Teeth
When everyday people hear the term “total body posture,” most expect any treatment to start with a chiropractor. While a spinal adjustment may provide some relief, it may surprise you to know that total body posture begins with your teeth. When your bite is uneven or conditions such as tooth decay set in, your body compensates with poor posture that puts you on a slippery slope.
How Do Misaligned Teeth Impact Total Body Posture?
When the human body enjoys a perfect posture, it functions at a highly efficient level. You can play sports, do yard work, and go hiking while feeling terrific. The exact opposite tends to be true when your neck, back, and extremities are not properly aligned. Poor posture typically leads to pain, discomfort, muscle strains, and injury.
What tends to go underreported about body posture is that the way your teeth fit together impacts the very top of the cervical spine near the C-1 and C-2 vertebrae. What’s unique about the region where the teeth and this spinal segment interact is that all of the other vertebrae have two contact points. The C-1 and C-2 segments have three. The third contact point is your teeth and bite alignment. When the mechanics are deficient, the upper spine tends to be thrown slightly out of alignment. What happens next is a type of domino effect that negatively impacts your entire body.
These are common conditions that may result from an uneven bite and teeth.
- Hyperlordosis: Characterized by a C-shaped curve in the back, it is typically the result of poor posture.
- Hyperkyphosis: This excessive curvature of the spine is commonly known as “hunchback.” It can result from years of misalignment.
- Scoliosis: This sideways curvature of the spine typically occurs during puberty when growth spurts are prevalent. It can be traced back to other misalignments in the body and overcompensation.
- Chronic Pain: When the C-1 and C-2 vertebrae are influenced out of the normal movement, uneven rubbing and grinding may inflame the spinal nerves. You may suffer dull, aching, or sharp pain and headaches.
- Sleeplessness: Because chronic pain cannot simply be turned off when you go to bed, the discomfort causes people to lose hours of restful sleep.
In too many cases, improper teeth alignments and bites go untreated. Over time, the body tends to steady compensate, beginning with the C-1 and C-2 segments. The lack of symmetry can cause you to unknowingly twist your pelvis and sitting posture, resulting in wide-reaching problems. At this point, it’s not unusual to seek chiropractic solutions rather than fix the root cause that begins in your mouth.
Contact A Trusted Edmonton Dentist To Treat Total Body Posture
At Sana Dental, we take a holistic approach to oral hygiene and overall wellness. Total body posture begins with an even bite and good healthy teeth. If you are experiencing neck pain, headaches, or want to take preventative measures to avoid debilitating conditions later in life, contact our Edmonton office and schedule a visit today. 780.476-3391.