Laser Treatment in Edmonton
Treating dental issues with lasers
Lasers have been used in dentistry since 1994 and are used to treat:
- Tooth decay. Lasers can remove decay and prepare the enamel for a filling
- Gum disease. Lasers are used to remove bacteria and reshape gums
- Biopsy. A biopsy is a small piece of tissue that is removed by the laser to test for cancer
- Lesions and canker sores. Lasers remove lesions in the mouth, and can relieve pain caused by canker sores
- Teeth whitening. Lasers can speed up a teeth whitening procedure by activating the peroxide bleaching solution
How do lasers work?
Lasers deliver energy in the form of light. In dentistry, they act as a cutting instrument as they vaporize any tissue they contact. They can also be used to “cure” a filling, strengthening the the bond between the filling and the tooth.