Do you suffer from TMJ pain? It could be genetic
TMJ symptoms such jaw pain, headaches or migraines or mysterious muscle stiffness, can be passed down from generation to generation. Because TMJ can be hereditary, anyone is susceptible.
How balanced is your bite?
Painful TMJ symptoms can be caused by a misaligned bite, a bite where the teeth to not come together properly. Often, this is due to the positioning of teeth and, since the positioning of our teeth is related to our genetics, those who carry genes that cause:
- Crooked teeth
- Large or small teeth
- Teeth that are in an incorrect position
- An over-bite
- An under-bite
- A narrow jaw
Can be more likely to experience TMJ issues.
Genetic tooth abnormalities can lead to a misaligned jaw, which, in turn can contribute to jaw problems and painful TMJ symptoms.
Dental treatment can help you overcome genetic flaws
The good news is there are dental treatment options that can offer relief of TMJ symptoms, even if the cause of your condition in hereditary.
- With dental bonding or veneers, the shape of your teeth can be changed, which could relieve many of the uncomfortable or even painful symptoms that you’re experiencing
- Orthodontics can re-position teeth into a position that will create a more ideal bite
- A full mouth reconstruction is another TMJ treatment option. It involves reconstructing your teeth with porcelain in order to correct positioning issues
- Finally, orthotics, or a dental mouthpiece can be worn to keep your bite in its optimal position.